26/06/2015

Five Years of Blogging

Happy 5th anniversary to my blog! I never expected that I would keep this up for such a long time, but I really do love my little corner of the internet! There is something so satisfying about creating content and sharing it with you guys. If it wasn't for my huge interest in fashion, Love from Lou Lou would never have lasted this long. I've also had so many amazing opportunities along the way which have made blogging extra rewarding. 

These are my top ten favourite opportunities that have come my way all thanks to my blog (in no particular order!):

1. Company magazine feature 
After roughly a year of blogging, I was contacted by a journalist who wanted to interview me for a feature in Company magazine. This was one of the most exciting things to happen to me as I had always loved reading Company. The article was called "British Style, Blogged" and featured three other bloggers, such as Lily Melrose, and I felt so privileged to be featured alongside them. 

The following year I was asked by Company's Web Editor Theresa Caney to do some street style photography during Edinburgh's Fringe Festival. This was published on Company.co.uk, which you can see here.


2. Dressing models for PPQ

After doing street style photography at London Fashion Week a couple of times, I wanted to be a part of the behind-the-scenes madness too! PPQ is one of my favourite British designer labels, so I emailed them asking if I could be part of their styling team. I think it really helped that I mentioned I'm a fashion blogger. 

I loved the buzz backstage during the SS14 show so much that when I was asked to help out for their next season's collection, I didn't have to think twice! You can read more about my experience here.


3. Getting a press pass for the Scottish Fashion Awards
Just like being a part of London Fashion week, I created my own luck again by requesting a press pass for the Scottish Fashion Awards 2012. This meant I could take photos of the red carpet and in the winners room. I had so much fun snapping some of fashion's finest including Christopher Kane, Alexa Chung and David Gandy. You can see the photos I took in my post about it.


4. Invited to be one of the first ASOS Insiders
ASOS is one of my favourite brands, and I was so pleased when they asked me to become an ASOS Insider. I've done some fun things as part of the group such as a Secret Santa and an Yves Saint Laurent styling competition. I was a runner-up in the challenge and won a gift voucher and poster of the Yves Saint Laurent film.

5. Became a stylist assistant
When I wanted to gain experience in styling, a work colleague said she was friends with a stylist, so she passed on my contact details and blog address. Usually Lynne McCrossan (Stylist/Writer for Edinburgh Evening News) was assisted by fashion students, however a fashion blog can present a similar amount of knowledge and enthusiasm. I had so much fun putting outfits together with different themes each week. I also did my own styling projects a few times and managed to get my styling work published in Spanish digital magazine We & You.


6. Attending lots of fab press events 
When I started my blog in 2010, I received the occasional invite to press days in London. Sadly I always had to decline as the train fares are too pricey. Over the last 2 years however, brands have been reaching out to other cities with their press/blogger events. My favourites have included events by ASOS, Debenhams, DUO and Arcadia.


7. Meeting inspirational women
During some of the events I've been to, I've been lucky enough to meet some amazing people within the fashion industry. The two women I was most excited to meet were Grazia Daily's web editor Angela Buttolph and Cambridge Satchel Company's founder Julie Deane. I would be happy to achieve even half the amount of their success!

8. Styling challenge for McArthur Glen
A couple of years ago, I was asked by McArthur Glen to style two of their products for three occasions each. My photographer friend Lianne MacKay did a brilliant job of capturing my outfits and we had so much fun. I didn't win the styling challenge but I did get to keep the Ted Baker clutch and RayBan sunglasses I was sent.


9. Modelling at Edinburgh Fashion Week
The most recent opportunity I've been given was from stylist Laura Russell, who asked if I could model for her show at Edinburgh Fashion Week. She styled each blogger in different trends, and I was given a seventies inspired look. I was first in the catwalk line-up so it was a bit nerve-wracking. Luckily I didn't trip in my six-inch platforms!


10. Making some fantastic friends
When I started writing my blog, there were hardly any bloggers based in Edinburgh. I would only speak to other bloggers online since they mostly lived down South. Luckily the blogging community here has grown over the years and I've made some truly great friends. We all support each other and I love catching up with them over dinner (burger bars are our favourite!) 


So those are the blogger opportunities I've been the most thankful for and I will never forget all these great memories. My blog has become a part of who I am as a person, and it's something that I'm proud to have built myself. 

For any fashion bloggers who want to make the most out of their position, I really do recommend contacting PR people if you want to get involved in certain events. You never know who you might meet or what new experiences you could have.

Thank you so much for reading my blog, especially to those of you who comment/like posts on Facebook/retweet my links. I appreciate every little bit of support.

BIG love from Lou Lou!