29/04/2011

The Unbeatable Wedding Dress


After many months of anticipation, the world has celebrated Kate and William's wedding on this momentous day. The romance and the atmosphere has been a big part of the day, but of course as a fashion blogger I want to express my thoughts on THAT DRESS!

After lots of hints and clues from fashion insiders, I was so happy that the rumors were true: the wedding dress was Alexander McQueen by Sarah Burton. It was the perfect choice: British, intricate and regal. It HAD to be McQueen. Even the name was fitting! Sarah Burton has done incredibly well since stepping up as Creative Director after the tragic loss of Lee Alexander McQueen. 

Here is what Sarah Burton has said about this amazing opportunity:

'It has been the experience of a lifetime to work with Catherine Middleton to create her wedding dress, and I have enjoyed every moment of it.  It was such an incredible honour to be asked, and I am so proud of what we and the Alexander McQueen team have created. I am delighted that the dress represents the best of British craftsmanship.  Alexander McQueen’s designs are all about bringing contrasts together to create startling and beautiful clothes and I hope that by marrying traditional fabrics and lacework, with a modern structure and design we have created a beautiful dress for Catherine on her wedding day.'


The elements of the dress were perfect for Kate. It's structure flattered her slim body; the lace created a timeless elegance; the deep cut v-neckline kept it modern; and the long train was traditional.

I thought the best dressed wedding guest was Kate's mother Carole Middleton, and I love that the Queen wore a cheerful shade of yellow! The worst dressed had to be Tara Palmer-Tomkinson. Head-to-toe in royal blue is not a good look for anyone.

I hope you all enjoyed watching the wedding if you got the chance. Let me know what you thought of the fashion choices!

Love from Lou Lou