15/09/2011

NYFW Top Ten

It's the last day of New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer '12 and I've been dying to share my favourite catwalk looks with you. Even though it's not my favourite Fashion Week, I was really impressed by some designers. My top 3 would have to be Jason Wu, Alexander Wang and Prabal Gurung. 

I would wear anything in Jason Wu's new collection. The petal print was a collaboration with graffiti artist KAWS and it's officially my new favourite print! Alexander Wang stayed true to his tough-girl aesthetic and yet managed to push it forward and create something exciting. I also found it quite futuristic. As for Prabal Gurung, the bright colours are absolutely stunning. I wasn't aware of his work before but he will most definitely be on my fashion radar from now on!

Not all collections on the catwalk can live up to my expectations however. Zac Posen was a disappointment for me. It was a collection of old Hollywood looks including the mermaid silhouette and I was surprised that nothing really grabbed my attention. 

I'm thrilled to see that Spring/Summer next year will involve a lot of bold prints and bright colours. I therefore predict I'll be spending a lot on clothes next Summer! Another trend-to-be is the drop waist dress which I'm less excited about. Sportswear will also be popular next Summer, inspired by the Olympics of course! 

In no particular order, here are my ten favourite catwalk looks and a little bit about each collection.

Victoria Beckham
Theme: Sportswear
Colours: Tangerine, navy & plum
Details: Double-faced satin & nylon straps

Thakoon


Theme: Bollywood & Western
Colours: Turquoise, saffron & orange
Details: Embroidery & two-tone cowboy hats

Diane von Furstenburg
Theme: New beginnings & Africa
Colours: White, mint & turquoise 
Details: Vibrant floral prints

Alexander Wang
Theme: Motorcycle racer
Colours: Black, white & blues
Details: Mesh & over-sized pockets

Jason Wu
Theme: Pop art
Colours: Pale pink, grey, lime green & blue
Details: Petal prints and embellished collars

Anna Sui
Theme: Studio 54
Colours: Purple, red, black
Details: Chiffon turbans & tiny prints

Prabal Gurung
Theme: Fetish & florals
Colours: White, violet, electric blue
Details: Dripping paint & ostrich feathers

Marchesa
Theme: Koi fish
Colours: White, nude & grey
Details: Fish embroidery & horsehair

Rodarte
Theme: Vincent Van Gough paintings
Colours: Purple, yellow, green
Details: Sunflower prints & metallic embroidery

Oscar de la Renta
Theme: Seemingly none!
Colours: Yellows, greens & red
Details: Crochet & ostrich feathers

Love from Lou Lou